I am a huge fan of volunteerism and in giving back to society. It’s something I hope to instill in my children the way my parents did for me. We already got them started on the right foot when my extended family helped found the Gil Read Memorial Foundation in honour of my father, to help give back to kids who can’t afford to play organized sports. Every year we host a fastball tournament and the kids love to participate.
That’s why I was thrilled to team up with Post Shreddies to help promote their “Search for Goodness” campaign. The “Search for Goodness” is a national search to recognize individuals for their selfless commitment to their community. Shreddies believes Canada is full of people striving to do good for others and want to recognize those who make a difference in their community. Canadians are backing up that belief as well:
• Almost 70 per cent volunteer their time to help someone they know with things like errands and snow removal
• Of those who volunteer, 60 per cent volunteer for a local, community-based organization
• More than 90 per cent feel a sense of pride and goodness after they volunteer
• Almost 90 per cent agree that volunteerism is an important function in building a strong community
• Over half of Canadians encourage their children to volunteer
• 86 per cent of Canadians think that young people who volunteer are more likely to grow into genuinely good adults
How Can You Participate in the Shreddies “Search for Goodness”?
If you know someone from your family or community who goes above and beyond to make a difference in the lives of others, here’s how you can share their story and give them the recognition they deserve.
Nominations can be submitted by visiting searchforgoodness.ca before May 10, 2015. Once a person has been nominated, Canadians can vote for their favourite story once a day to help the nominee make it into the top 10 finalists. The top 10 stories will make the shortlist of nominees, and the winner will be selected by a panel of judges at Post Foods Canada Inc. The winning story will be told in a Post Shreddies’ ad.
Full contest rules are available at www.searchforgoodness.ca and on the Shreddies Facebook Page
Disclosure: I was compensated for my participation in this campaign.