We all get a sense of dread when we wake up in the middle of the night and it suddenly feels like you are swallowing razor blades. The first signs of the flu present themselves in different ways but they are all equally unwelcome. That’s why I have agreed to work with Shoppers Drug Mart throughout the winter months to help provide you with some tips and tricks on ways to prevent and treat flu symptoms! That said, today we are going to cover a few ways to prevent the flu from taking over your household.
Train Your Immune System
There is no 100% foolproof plan to avoiding the flu but having a strong immune system is an excellent way to fight back against the flu’s punch. You can boost your immune system by following these steps:
– Get Some Sleep! Your body needs a good 7-8 hours of sleep a night to fully recover. I realize that is easier said than done, especially for parents, as I am currently in the 5-10 range nightly…
– Drink Plenty of Water. I know, I know, water is so boring. While that may be true, your body needs it to thrive. You should be aiming to put back 8 glasses of water a day. Also, coffee does not count as water, but nice try!
– Eat Healthy Foods. This one seems like a no brainer yet when we find ourselves rushing around, the fast food joints look a lot more convenient. Curb that urge and keep plenty of healthy foods around your house.
– Stay Active! This may be the hardest one on the list. If I had a nickel for every time I almost went to the gym, I’d be a very rich man. Get off your butt and get moving. Your body will thank you.
Get Your Flu Shot At Shoppers Drug Mart
– One of the easiest ways to avoid getting the flu and ensuring that you don’t miss out this holiday season is to visit your local Shoppers Drug Mart and get the flu shot. Depending on how well the vaccine is matched to this year’s common viruses, 70-90% of flu cases can be averted through vaccination. Getting your flu shot not only protects you but also helps protect those around you who are more susceptible to getting sick. If you’re nervous, you can always stop in to your local Shoppers Drug Mart for a consultation with a pharmacist before committing to the shot and they will set your mind at ease.
Practice Good Hygiene
– Wash Your Hands Frequently. Washing your hands isn’t just for when you are leaving a restroom. If you see a sink, wash those hands. Germs are everywhere, stop giving them a free ride!
– Cover Your Face When You Cough and Sneeze – This should be common sense but I constantly see people not covering up when then cough and sneeze. Kids are the worst for this so we taught them to Dab when they sneeze and that has completely fixed the issue. Until dabbing stops being cool, that is…
– Don’t Reuse Tissues. Dude, gross.
That’s it, folks. These are easy tasks that can be completed in minutes a day and can seriously reduce your chances of getting the flu. Just to make sure you are all ready for flu season, I am giving away a Shoppers Drug Mart Flu Fighters prize pack which includes everything from cough drops to PC facial tissues and chicken noodle soup, plus a $100 Shoppers Drug Mart gift card!
To enter, just fill out the Rafflecopter form below and I’ll pick a winner soon! Don’t forget to head into your local Shoppers Drug Mart in the meantime to get you and your family protected by getting your flu vaccinations! Have a great day!!!